Having eaten the delicious Thai soup a few days ago, I craved hot soup every day this week. I craved it because it is still very chilly outside and partly because it helped soothe my sore throat, which I can happily say is all gone. Yippee!
With unlimited amount of coconut milk around the house that was used for our traditional New Year’s Day menu, I wanted to make a healthy soup that used coconut milk to take advantage of the supply.
That’s the real deal. I normally use Trader Joe’s lite coconut milk because it’s more accessible, but since I had the real thing on hand, I figured why not use it.
Sweet Potato and Kale Soup
- 2 pounds of sweet potato, cut into 1” pieces and microwaved in a bowl on high for 6.5 minutes to start the cooking process (I used 1 pound uncooked sweet potato and 1 pound leftover roasted sweet potato)
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2/3 cup real coconut milk
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable stock
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or skim milk, soy milk)
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 4 cups kale, trimmed, washed and torn into small pieces
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup salted peanuts, for garnish
- Prepare sweet potatoes in microwave.
- Heat a large pot on medium high. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil (I used coconut oil) and add potatoes, cooking until they begin to brown. Stir in garlic.
- Add coconut milk, vegetable stock, almond milk, garam masala, salt, pepper and chili powder.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Mash potatoes with potato masher or puree with immersion blender.
- Add raisins, kale and vanilla and cover. Allow to cook for 8-10 more minutes, until kale is bright green.
- Portion into bowls and garnish with 1 tbsp each peanuts.
I never thought having kale in soups tasted so good. I love that it’s soft and chewy. I love eating kale raw in salads and I’ve eaten them steamed too, but there’s something about having them in soup that makes them taste great.
I will definitely be making this again.