The holiday season is upon us.
Everything we do has new meaning these days. I find myself saying to Chris, “this is going to be the last holidays where it is just going to be the two of us” or “next year, we’ll be pushing the stroller past these Christmas decorations”. It really helps me live in the present and at the same time, I see things differently. I guess I appreciate everything around me even more.
We are enjoying the holiday magic at Disneyland, especially their “Believe In the Holiday Magic” firework show at night. No matter how many times I’ve seen it over the years, I still get goose bumps each time.
I mean look at all these lights….is this doesn’t give you the holiday spirit, I don’t know what will.
I’ve already started with my holiday baking. As soon as we got home from our babymoon trip, I was already making list of ingredients that I will need to stock up this week. i.e. get pounds of butter from Costco.
One of the treats that I made last year that I’ll be making again this year are these Coconut Date Balls. I’ve never had them until I made them last year and I am glad I did.
It is sweet from the dates, buttery, crispy from the rice krispies and made with plenty of coconuts.
Coconut Date Balls
(makes 2 dozen, recipe adapted from here)
- 2 eggs beaten
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 3 cups rice crispy cereal
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat (do not use high heat or you’ll get scramble eggs),combine the butter, sugar and dates. Add eggs to the mixture (I added a tablespoon of the warm sugar mixture into the bowl with the eggs first to help temper the temperature).
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, and boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. Mix in crispy rice cereal. Butter hands and roll the mixture into walnut sized balls. Roll the balls in coconut. Serve.
I served these and added them on my holiday cookie platter. It adds variety to the usual Christmas cookie choices.
Do you feel the holiday spirit yet?
What are you excited to make these holiday season?