~ On Being Thankful ~
I have been making a great effort this month to be thankful everyday. It could be the little things or the simplest things, but to practice a grateful attitude every day is important for me. I should really try to do this all year, but in the month of November, I really make it a focus.
I will be journaling in my project life album, all the things I’m grateful for this year. This year has been a whirlwind and most days, I’m riding high from all the blessings we have been given this year.
I also love this time of the year when our calendar starts to fill up with family gatherings. I’m really looking forward to spending time with friends and family. I also look forward to all the delicious food, traditional holiday food and also filipino food.
Everybody loves to indulge during the holidays, but I also try to make food that I love a little bit healthier.
I love sweet potatoes and I love making this sweet potato casserole during holiday parties. I’ve made this two years in a row and I will be making it this again this year. If there are any leftovers, I can eat them for days.
I reduced the sugar from the original recipe, used vegan brown rice marshmallow and kept the other half of the pan just plain and topped with more pecans.
I love that it’s not too sweet and also have a little texture because of the chopped pecans mixed in.
Sweet Potato Casserole
(Slightly adapted from Cooking Light)
- 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans, divided
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large pan, and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes or until very tender. Drain; cool slightly.
- Place potatoes in a large bowl. Add sugar and next 3 ingredients (through vanilla). Mash sweet potato mixture with a potato masher. Fold in 1/4 cup pecans. Scrape potato mixture into an even layer in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup pecans; top with marshmallows.
- Optional – Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until golden.