I’m always on the lookout for food that are toddler friendly, meaning they are bite size, so my little man’s tiny chubby hands can pick up the food and feed himself. He doesn’t like us to help him with food, my Mr. Little Independent.
I also try to convert our adult food into bite size, like omelets, baked spaghetti, quinoa veggie muffins and etc. It’s exciting to experiment in the kitchen. He also only takes one nap a day now, so we can go on our own adventures and leave the house the rest of the day. Since we are on the go a lot, I try to pack food for us, but mostly for him.
I made these potato and zucchini tots originally for my toddler, but I ended up eating half the batch before his nap was over. So I quickly baked another batch and it was gone within a week. These are good. The tiny bits of ham I added in the mix, it added a ton of flavor. These are not just for toddlers, but also quick bites for adults.
I love how the crust gets crispy and when you bite into it, it’s soft in the middle filled with potato and zucchini. I’m planning to make more soon so I can fill my freezer stash. Perhaps with sweet potato instead?
Zucchini Tater Tots
Serves: Makes about 20 tots
- 1 c shredded potatoes (peeled or unpeeled)
- 1 small zucchini, shredded
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup ham, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 c shredded mexican blend cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 egg
- Preheat your oven to 400°F and spray a mini muffin pan with cooking spray
- Gather the shredded potatoes and zucchini into a kitchen towel and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Place the potatoes and zucchini in a bowl and add the remaining ingredients and mix together.
- Scoop the mixture into the prepared muffin pan (I used a small cookie scoop), and press them down a bit. You should get about 20 tots.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
Recipe adapted from Cupcakes and Kale Chips