When given a choice, I would like to lean towards gluten free eating. After doing Whole 30 for a month a few years ago, I learned which food triggers reaction to my body, such as bloating and headaches. Sugar and gluten (in that order) is something I try NOT to have on a daily basis. Once a week or special occasions? sure why not? Whenever I prep food for the week, I am mindful about limiting sugar and gluten as much as possible.
I’ve been experimenting with Gluten Free flours that are available on mainstream stores, like Target. I’ve been happy with Bob Red Mill’s gluten free flour because it’s so easy to use, it’s 1 to 1 ratio when substituting the flours. I actually prefer using this gluten free flours when baking for my family.
This banana bread was delicious. There were no weird taste with the flours and tasted just “normal”. Since I use really ripe bananas (skin is almost black), I can cut back on the sugars next time. I also like using sugar-free chocolate brand like Lily’s dark chocolate chips in this bread.
Gluten Free Banana Bread
- 2 cups Bob’s Red Mill gluten free flour
- 4-5 very ripe bananas, mashed
- ½ cup sugar (I used coconut sugar)
- ½ cup butter (1 stick), softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan, set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, set aside. In a separate bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Stir in eggs, milk, vanilla, and mashed bananas until well blended. Stir banana mixture and chocolate chips into flour mixture; stir just to moisten. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean. Let bread cool in pan for at least minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack. Slice and serve warm!
Recipe adapted from here.
Other banana bread recipes on the blog:
Here are other banana bread recipes: